In search engine optimization (SEO), one of the key tactics to improve your organic search rankings is to have other reputable websites link to yours. Oftentimes, this is done through backlinking partnerships. They feature a link to your site, and your site features a link to theirs.
But for this method to be effective, you need to make sure that you trade backlinks only with the right partners. So how do you find these partner sites? Your best bet is to heed the following tips:
- Look for a good-looking website. This means the website should look professional and well put together. The color scheme should be attractive, and the overall look should be distinct instead of generic. It also helps a lot if the site is easy to read and navigate, whether on a large PC monitor or on a smartphone. What you don’t want, on the other hand, is a partner site that comes with too many ads. Many people seem to equate sites like these as scammer sites, and you don’t want your site tainted with the same brush.
- The site should load quickly. This is all about providing a great, frustration-free experience for the site visitors. It’s better if your partner site loads quickly, because PC users and especially smartphone surfers are all notoriously impatient. It’s also good if the site doesn’t have any broken links. No one has time for slow-loading sites. Broken links are also sure signs of amateurish efforts, and you don’t want people to think that of your site too.
- Pick the more famous sites if possible. In SEO, having a well-known site feature a link to your own site can really boost the credibility of your site. Imagine if CNN.com has a link to your site. That will really legitimize your brand! You can also try to partner up with the more well-known sites of your particular niche.
- Check that their other backlinks are working. It’s not really a good sign if your potential backlink partner has lots of paid or spammy backlinks on their site. Instead, their other backlinks should be for other high quality sites, and there should be a sizable number of these backlinks.
- Check if they have new content regularly. The best bet is that the potential partner site offers new content daily, so people will visit them more frequently. Google has already come out and said that fresh content is one of the most crucial factors in SEO, and you want your partner site to feature new content regularly too.
- Try to exchange links naturally and gradually. You can’t really just send them an email and ask for a backlink partnership outright. You need to spend time fostering the online relationship, and then the link building will continue naturally. What you really want to avoid is having too many backlinks appear on your site within a very short period of time. This kind of mistake can lead to a Google penalty due to your improper SEO techniques.
Of course, take note of all the traits you’re looking for in your backlinking partners and make sure that your site exhibits the same traits. The other sites may be looking for the same ideal partners, and that may as well be your web site. In addition, these traits actually help you improve your SEO as well.